Judges are impressed with the high standard of entries in the Registered Master Builders 2010 House of the Year and RMB Commercial Project Awards.
In the build-up to the national event, we take a look at a selection of the 16 Gold Reserve finalists that will be battling it out for the PlaceMakers Supreme Award for the Registered Master Builders Renovation of the Year.
House of the Year judge Bruce Duggan says the quality of entries in the renovation categories was extremely high.
“Across the board, all of the renovations that are now contenders for the national awards were absolutely superb. From the Renovations up to $250,000 category to the Renovations over $500,000 category, the entries were truly excellent.”
John Creighton Builders Ltd is a national finalist in the Renovation over $500,000 category. The three-bedroom beauty features a unique mix of glass, timber and stone which complements the home’s surroundings.
The judges were impressed with the striking Christchurch renovation, which was fortunately not affected by the recent earthquake, saying the “house has been transformed into a wonderful, resort-style home”.
“The build involved considerable difficulties, including the excavation of a steep and rocky hill. A lot of space has been created, with public and private areas spread throughout the home.”
Avenue Construction Ltd from Manawatu is a finalist in the $250,000 category. The company was faced with a brief to provide a master bedroom, ensuite and walk-in wardrobe and an energy efficiency focus.
“The builder has cleverly satisfied the owners’ requirements by creating a substantial bedroom, ensuite and walk-in wardrobe providing a large private sanctuary,” judges said.
“Great use of lighting and a large deck have admirably finished the project.”
In Wellington, the judges were also impressed with Planit Construction Ltd’s development in the Renovation over $500,000 category.
The company was faced with a challenging brief to add an additional storey to the home, which required digging under its original dwelling.
“Extensions to the upper levels allowed for the renovation of living areas, all in keeping with the original character of the house,” judges said.
“The builder showed careful attention to detail throughout the renovation. Thoughtful consideration has been given to the integration of the kitchen, and to the indoor-outdoor living.”
Simon Roche Ltd’s Wellington renovation in the $250,000 – $500,000 category also caught the judges’ eye, featuring a stunning timber deck and a range of new insulation features.
The home’s interior elements were fully stripped out and repainted to create a truly stunning finished product.
Priority One Construction’s stunning Auckland home — also a Renovation over $500,000 entry — is a four-bedroom home described as a detailed project which required substantial redevelopment of the existing property.
“This renovation has involved a lot of high standard workmanship. The builder has achieved a complete makeover, using a great mix of materials from plywood panels on the ceilings to large-tiled floors and walls,” judges said.
National category winners, PlaceMakers Supreme Awards for the Renovation of the Year and the House of the Year, and the RMB Commercial Project of the Year will be announced at a gala dinner in Auckland on Saturday, November 27.
The Awards are made possible by the support of principal sponsor PlaceMakers, and supporting sponsors James Hardie, Gib Living®, Pink® Batts® Ultra® (Tasman Insulation), Nulook, the Department of Building and Housing, and Meridian.
To view a full list of Gold Reserve finalists visit www.houseoftheyear.co.nz.
Renovation Award Gold Reserve National Finalists
PlaceMakers Renovation Award up to $250,000
• Jim the Builder Ltd for a renovation in Heathcote, Christchurch
• Avenue Construction Ltd for a renovation in Palmerston North
• Pearson Group Ltd for a renovation in Kelburn, Wellington
PlaceMakers Renovation Award $250,000 – $500,000
• Dean Martick Builders Ltd for a renovation in Epsom, Auckland
• Allan Wallace Builders Ltd for a renovation in Huapai, Auckland
• Ajax Building Contractors Ltd for a renovation in Lumsden
• Simon Roche Ltd for a renovation in Lowry Bay, Hutt Valley
PlaceMakers Renovation Award over $500,000
• Marty van der Burg Builders Ltd for a renovation in Parnell, Auckland
• Priority One Construction Ltd for a renovation in Mission Bay, Auckland
• Mark Prosser Builders Ltd for a renovation in Kaiapoi
• John Creighton Builders Ltd for a renovation in Sumner, Christchurch
• Jim the Builder Ltd for a renovation in Christchurch
• Contemporary Homes Ltd for a renovation in Little Kaiteriteri
• Peter Goodger – Builder for a renovation in Balfour, Gore
• Taylor Developments Ltd for a renovation in Otumoetai, Tauranga
• Planit Construction Ltd for a renovation in Kelburn, Wellington